Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In Memory of my Grandfather


The last time I saw him I needed a high chair for Andrew. He went to a friend's restaurant and got me one!

With my sister Tiffany


I wanted to take a moment to remember my paternal grandfather. He wasn't in my life until four years ago but it doesn't change the fact that he was my grandfather. My grandmother and grandfather divorced when my dad was young. My grandfather didn't always make the best choices and lost touch with my father. (He later regretted that. ) My dad was raised by a wonderful stepfather who even his own dad respected. Four years ago we reconnected with him. It was hard because he lived in Missouri and did not have the ability to visit. He was in and out of the hospital often. If I have learned anything from my experience that I would like to share it's that you need to stop and realize that tomorrow may never come. I am so busy that I could never find the time to pick up the phone to call my grandfather more. I always had an excuse. I regret that so much. We were nothing alike. We barely knew each other but I will always regret never taking more time to find out if we were more alike than I realized.